Let's start with who's interested.....

If you're interested in getting together with local like-minded individuals to share your love of Atari, or are just interested in learning more about it.... This is the place to discuss it.
Commodore Clifford
Starbase Commander
Starbase Commander

Let's start with who's interested.....

Postby Commodore Clifford » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:13 pm

I had been thinking about this for awhile... trying to come up with ideas and such... when I realized that it was really just smarter to try to figure out who might be interested and what they might like out of a group like this.

Sure, I have some ideas, and if things stall a bit and we need some ideas, I can throw some things out there... but before we put the cart before the horse, it might be wise to just see who (if anyone) is interested in meeting like minded Atari computer enthusiasts. We might find the interest spreads further from North East Ohio, or that maybe there isn't enough Atari-specific interest but perhaps a more general vintage computer interest. Or we might be slammed with tons of interest. Who knows.

So let's start small. Who would like to get together to meet like-minded local Atari computer enthusiasts (or people who want to be Atari computer enthusiasts).
Calibus
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Let's start with who's interested.....

Postby Calibus » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:24 am

I'm definitely interested.

I'm new to the Atari world - but not to Vintage Computing in general. I've had TRS-80s since 1981...
On a lark, I bought an Atari 800XL and an Apple IIgs on ebay in 2007, and they sat forgotten about until earlier this year when I re-discovered them.
I've since been trying to determine "must have" modern enhancements for them - such as the CFA3000 for the Apple.

I've always liked the look of the original Atari 800 - and have no idea why I got the 800XL from ebay first in 2007. Must have been a price / availability thing.
I've bought a few addons for the 800XL - but since I don't own a compatible monitor yet - it (sadly) continues to collect dust.
I don't even know if it works :-)

An opportunity presented itself on eBay a month ago or so, to buy an Atari 800 along with a 1050 drive, and a couple 850 interface things.
I kinda felt bad for pitching the 850 my 800XL came with 10 years ago - since I didn't know what it was...
The price was right - even though the shipping was outrageous - but the seller stated they would refund any shipping overages.
A week later, I received the box - and with much anticipation - I opened it. I was totally shocked at the shoddy packaging.

Some "before" pictures from the original auction

An 800, 2 850s, a trackball, keypad and a cassette drive.

And a bunch of old floppy disks with who knows what on them

I figured if the trackball worked, it would make the deal worthwhile - so I gambled.
(Everything was filthy - so I knew I'd be in for some serious scrubbing before I would want to use it)

And then - with breathless anticipation, I open the 60+ lb box and am greeted by:

and

and

and

and tragically

As of this posting, I have been in negotiations with the seller for 3 weeks.
Hoping he can make it right.

No idea if there is any internal damage to the 800 - i.e. whether or not it would be useful for spare parts at this point.

On the bright side, I did find another 800 on ebay and did a local pickup of it.
The composite output of the 2nd 800 was passable on the TV I tested it on - but I'm hoping the S-Video will look better.
Commodore Clifford
Starbase Commander
Starbase Commander

Postby Commodore Clifford » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:09 pm

That's sad... and it looked like a lot of moisture/mold damage before the shipping even.

Did the 800 break in transit? (I mean, were the missing pieces of the case in the box)?

Even if this group thing doesn't take off, I'm sure we can figure something out to help you with some of this stuff.

It will be interesting to see what can be saved.....
Calibus
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Calibus » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:17 pm

Commodore Clifford wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:09 pm
That's sad... and it looked like a lot of moisture/mold damage before the shipping even.

Did the 800 break in transit? (I mean, were the missing pieces of the case in the box)?

Even if this group thing doesn't take off, I'm sure we can figure something out to help you with some of this stuff.

It will be interesting to see what can be saved.....
If you look the auction pictures (The before) you can see there is no sign of the breakage from the top. And the breakage in the "After" picture shows scrapes/scuffs (white) on the top - which weren't there earlier.
I think you'd also be able to see the hairline crack on the top of the front edge.

Yes - the busted piece was in the box. I'm probably going to try gluing it from the inside - unless there were smaller fragments and it would leave a hole still.

Like I did with my "good" 800 - I'm planning on disassembling everything and scrubbing the cases by hand.

(Case halves drying over wash tub)

Worst case, I use it as spare parts.

Just got the word from the seller, the UPS insurance claim was denied - so I'm now in salvage mode.