Connecting to Vintage BBSs

Interested in signing on to old-school BBSs in 2017 but you're not sure how? Want to access them with your own vintage hardware? This is the place for you.
Commodore Clifford
Starbase Commander
Starbase Commander

Connecting to Vintage BBSs

Postby Commodore Clifford » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:21 pm

In the near future, I will be creating some posts discussing various ways to connect to old vintage BBS's.

The easiest, for modern PC's, in my humble opinion is to use SyncTerm http://syncterm.bbsdev.net/ SyncTerm is available on a wide variety of operating systems and does a great job with ANSI, ATASCII and even PETSCII. You really can't beat it.

In fact, I highly recommend it for your first foray into BBSing before spending time and money on ways to perhaps get your old vintage hardware accessing Telnet BBS's. You may spend a lot of time and money to find that the expectations of the BBS community's activity was a little underwhelming. Not to say we're not making a comeback. Things are much better than they have been for awhile... but it's still not the BBS scene of the 80's.

That said, if you're the right sort.... It's a whole lot of fun.

In the meantime, if you have a specific hardware/software configuration you wan to try out, just let me know.